Visitors

Saturday, March 19, 2016

REMINDED OF THE WAR

March 19, 2016
Reading the amazing poetry of William Faulkner: LIGHT IN AUGUST.   His descriptive passages are pure and have words that I do not know.. And, I thought I was so smart.  

Then, a wonderful artist I met because of Claes Oldenburg, Lurline Weatherly, posted a photo of a Zippo lighter inscribed with  a "Peace Sign" (the semaphore for N and D: Nuclear Disarmament) this pithy thought:

"NAM 71 - 72 "
WE THE 
UNWILLING
LET BY THE
UNQUALIFIED
TO KILL THE
UNFORTUNATE
DIE FOR THE
UNGRATEFUL

Those years were changling years for me in another way. A better way.  Serendipity and action that literally kept me alive and changed my life. In '72 I met a friend who is my friend for life. A good thing.

I had not intended to be so serious this morning.  Reading Faulkner (thanks to Jan Munroe) and anticipating a review to write tonight.  But, war is what is killing and maiming unfortunate young men and women as 'we speak.'  The fears of the looming tide of sewage spewing from political candidates are on us all, like it or not.  How to survive? Seriously?  T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men's conclusion creeps in, "This is the way the world ends. This is the way the world ends... not with a bang, but a whimper." 

Oh well...

My plumbing woes are (knock wood) behind me for now.  Repair of a sponge mop when a new one should be on my list of stuff to buy and looking forward to the day is what is should all be about. 

On the way to the recycling center yesterday, I lucked into an encounter with Popeye!  He was strong to the finish!  Of course, his answer to everything was to beat the crap out of it.  Sigh. 

 
March 19, 2016
michaelsheehan   and popeye, the sailor man

No comments:

Post a Comment