Visitors

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

March First!

March 1, 2016

Someone posted a quote from Carl Jung on Facebook today. It got to me via Jerry Hoffman.  
Jung was quoted, "Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge."  That prompted me to think of people I know who are intelligent and educated whom I love.  That prompted me to share Jung's quote and compose this:

"Critical thinking is a challenge. No! Really!! Daily I think of friends who may be ripe for questioning the authority of their childhood indoctrination and hope that subtle nudges will bring them to their own 'truths.' We are all products of our early education/indoctrination. To question that and to find one's own way is a life long quest. Be brave!"

Mike Dutton was my first agent.  He drank scotch and milk and had a long history in the voice over business.  He worked with the Mercury Players and was a kind man who booked my first commercial job (for Baskin Robbins Ice Cream!) which got me into the Screen Actors Guild!  I am ever in his debt.  He's up on the twentieth hole now, but I always think of him kindly.  I would call him daily to see if I had a shot at a job.  He would take my call!  We would chat briefly.  Then, in closing, in his mellifluous bass, he would say, "Be Brave."  

It's not  easy to get beyond our initial indoctrination. "As the twig is bent..." and all that. I just think of how my questioning the authority of 'education' and 'indoctrination' has been what I've really needed on my own journey.  One thing that I AM sure of is that I'll probably never be 'completely sure' of anything!  

March 1, 2016
michaelsheehan 

PS..  a very serious note.  
I need to share something.  The woman I was 'with' many years ago went on to success and a family.  We didn't remain close, but I am a nostalgic and because it was on Oscar night that she took me to a party where I found my home, here on Cambridge Drive, I wrote a note to her to thank her for the time we shared and to remember that Oscar party.

I just got an email from her that told me that her sister and her sister's son had both committed suicide!  I didn't know them currently, but, her sister and the kid were nice and I liked them years ago.   It is a sobering moment.  Very.  This is not like losing a friend or a parent to illness or old age.  Depression or whatever drives us to suicide is difficult to fathom.  I know other parents / families who have experienced this.  Just sobering.  To my friend:  I love you.  I am so sorry for this terrible loss. 

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment